Elle Perez + Paolo Morales

Friday, October 17, 2008

RE College

I like where you are going in these images. 

1st image: We've discussed the "object" portrait a few times if I recall. I like this one, more so because its in the context of a documentary versus a portrait. I also enjoy the dividing line of the wood.

2nd image: That's a really strong image. Mixing pain killers with a drink (?). I don't know what is in that glass exactly. Is it a glass of coca cola or a glass of wine? I love the picture but I would love it more if I saw some red or white liquid to suggest wine of some sort. But then again, I don't know, maybe the glass is enough of a signifier to tell the story...

3rd image: I think this is a beautiful picture. Kind of Philip-Lorca DiCorcia:
My issue is I don't know what is going on in the image. Two characters are in a car. The light is strong, like DiCorcia's image is. Are the two girls heading off to a party? Or are they simply in the midst of a conversation? 

4th image: Again, gorgeous. The angle glorifies the alcohol, "I need this to do well in school." And, like you once described this project to me, the image gives the viewer the "party hard" aspect to this project wonderfully.

5th image: Two characters are in conversation. The girl to the left is clearly all ears to the girl on the right. Are they discussing their boy-problems? Their "horrible" B+ in French class? Or are they debating over what Tolstoy is trying to say in War & Peace? I'm not sure what is happening in this image, but I like it better than the 3rd.

How are you lighting these? Are you mounting strobes? The lighting is strong, more polished than Lauren Greenfield. And I don't know if I agree with the Greenfield reference... I'm seeing more Bruce Davidson ("Brooklyn Gang"), Larry Clark ("Teenage Lust"), or Colin LaFleche ("Right After").

Nice beginning, Elle. I can't wait to see more.

No comments:

Blog Archive